There’s no telling how low the temperatures can go during Malverne winters, and although you likely have a heater in your home, you may want to consider a gas log fireplace installation as another heat source. At Charles Krull & Son, Inc. Plumbing & Heating, we’ve served the residents here for five generations. Call us today and let us show you the advantages of a gas log fireplace.
If you’re not getting satisfactory heat through your Malverne, NY, home, check out our radiant heating service to see how it can help.
Benefits of a Gas Log Fireplace
If you’ve ever owned a wood-burning fireplace, then you know how much elegance it adds to your home, not to mention the heat it provides. You also know that wood-burning fireplaces require a lot of work to maintain. If you love the upsides of a fireplace but don’t want the hassle of upkeep, a gas log fireplace may be the answer you’re looking for. Consider these other benefits.
- Realism - One aspect that homeowners love about wood fireplaces is the visual appeal it adds. While many people think gas log fireplaces look fake, the truth is today’s designs look incredibly realistic.
- Saves Time & Money - Operating a gas log fireplace saves time because you don’t have the same level of care and maintenance involved as you do with a traditional fireplace. Also, depending on your location, you may end up paying more for firewood than for natural gas.
- Environmentally Friendly - Gas log fireplaces produce fewer emissions because they burn either natural gas or propane, compared to wood, which releases more carbon dioxide than gas, oil, or coal.
- Safer - Wood burning fireplaces are a safety risk, especially if you have kids or pets.
- Many Options - When choosing the perfect gas log fireplace for your home, you have plenty of options in styles and features.
For more information on gas log fireplaces, call Charles Krull & Son, Inc. Plumbing & Heating.
How to Maintain a Gas Log Fireplace
Although a gas fireplace doesn’t require as much attention as a traditional fireplace, there are a few tips to follow to ensure it works correctly and safely.
- Clean the glass as needed.
- Clean the interior with a vacuum and wand attachment.
- Clean soot off the logs.
- Replace batteries twice a year in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Call a qualified technician for routine maintenance and inspection.
By conducting these easy checkups, you can catch any problems and keep your family safe.
Call Charles Krull & Son, Inc. Plumbing & Heating when you need expert boiler services.
Signs You Need Gas Log Fireplace Repair
Having a gas log fireplace is a great and functional addition to your Malverne, NY, home, but sometimes, people experience trouble and need a pro for repairs. Here are a few things to watch:
- Pilot Light Problems - Just like a gas furnace, your fireplace has a pilot light built-in. If the light doesn’t stay lit, it could be a worn-out thermopile. Call a technician for expert repairs.
- Smell of Gas - If you smell rotten eggs, it’s likely a gas leak. Get out of the house immediately and call for help from outside or a neighbor’s house.
- Soot - Soot buildup in a gas fireplace isn’t a good sign and points to a serious problem, which could be from the getting or the logs.
- Unit Switches On and Off - A fireplace that continually switches on and off could mean a variety of issues, including the millivolt generator or a jammed burner.